Saturday, September 4, 2010

New car

Andrew and Harper are downstairs at the big toy. I can see them from our kitchen window three flights up. The toy is a three-story jungle gym, with swirly slides and all. It is the first day of Saturday soccer and there are children and parents running everywhere. Andrew and Harper are hanging back observing the organized chaos, perhaps deciding when it will be their turn to participate. It is rainy and overcast and reminds me of home, I have the first glimpse and pangs of really missing my family and friends. I suppose that means we are settling in a bit. I am writing this and making an egg sandwich, which reminds me of Miles (Andrew’s Dad) for some reason. The dark cloud is bringing more rain. When it rains here it really pours. You are drenched instantly the only difference is that it is still warm. It a little like walking into the bathroom after someone has taken a long hot shower but still I like it.
Some time has past now; we have taken our first adventure in our new car. It is a Nissan Exterra. It cost us more than any car combined that we have purchased so far. We are sharing a car and driver with our neighbors. Philip is our driver and I like him a lot. He seems honest, tries very hard and is really nice to Harper. It feels good to have a car and some freedom I have already been getting a bit of cabin fever living right next to work, campus is already feeling small.
Today while we were out we bought phone cards off the street because I ran out of minutes here. The cards actually worked. (Often times they don’t) We also saw a man with a full mattress folded in half stuffed with goods on top of his head riding on the back of an okada. It was amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carrie, I’m glad to hear all is well. A personal driver sounds nice, I could use one of those! We've (Ryan, Casey & Kim), been thinking about you all and miss not seeing you at the center. You may know that a crew of Star's moved up as Honey Bears this week.
    This morning was Ryan's first day as a Honey Bear we had been preparing for this for some time, the teachers do such a great job of easing transitions that Ryan hardly missed a beat. Something very sweet happened this morning as Ryan and I made our way to the center. We talked about where we were going and we listed off the names of his buddies and teachers Ryan would be with today. After listing off a couple of names Ryan paused and with a confused look on his face, looked at me in the rear view mirror and said; "go to see Harper?" It was so sweet, I really didn't know how to answer. I knew that I thought about their budding friendship and silly moments, it sounds like Ryan has been too! Even though we were new friends I know I'm not only speaking for myself when I say you are not alone with your pangs of missing friends and family.

    ReplyDelete